For questions about social services, such as SNAP or HEAP, you can also reach out to the Department of Social Services.
What is Albany County — NY Connects?
Albany County – NY Connects is a trusted resource for anyone needing information regarding long term care services and supports. This may include an older adult, a child or adult with a disability, caregivers or family members. NY Connects functions with a “No Wrong Door” philosophy, serving as a hub for information on a wide range of available services and supports. In addition to serving individual instances of need, NY Connects is a resource for long-term care professionals throughout the area, providing assistance managing transitions in service needs, with an overarching goal of assisting people in their desire to obtain, or remain in, the least restrictive setting for as long as possible.
NY Connects provides information, referrals and other support, without regard to income or resources, on some of the areas below…
- Consumer and caregiver supports such as respite care, case/care management, friendly visitors, advocacy, etc.
- Children specific supports such as early intervention and special education
- Facility based services such as adult day care programs and nursing homes
- Home based services such as home health or personal care services and personal emergency response systems
- Insurance/benefit information and counseling regarding long term care insurance, Medicare or Medicaid, Veteran’s and other benefits
- Nutrition and food support programs such as congregate meals, home delivered meals, SNAP and nutrition assessment services
- Protective/preventative services for information about how to prevent or report situations of abuse, neglect, or exploitation of adults (over the age of 18)
- Residential housing options and supports such as adult residential care facilities, assisted living facilities, low income/subsidized housing and utility payment assistance programs
- Support groups and counseling for caregivers, children and adults with disabilities or aging/older adults
- Transportation related information such as automobile/van adaptations and programs to transport the disabled and/or senior citizens
- Information and assistance may also be available regarding such things as legal services, mental health and/or substance abuse programs, home modification programs, property tax exemptions
NY Connects staff may conduct screenings and offer in-depth conversations to provide a thorough exploration of resources and services which may be available, as well as information about how to access these services. Staff may also review options regarding current or future long term care needs.