Susan A. Rizzo, Albany County Comptroller Harold L. Joyce Albany County Office Building 112 State Street Room 1030 Albany, NY 12210 Phone (518) 447-7130 Fax (518) 447-1554
As the independently elected Chief Fiscal Officer of the County, the powers and duties of the County Comptroller and the Department of Audit and Control are granted by the Albany County Legislature and are detailed in Article 4 of the Albany County Charter.
It is the ultimate responsibility of the Comptroller to provide accountability and guidance in relation to all financial matters of the County. In order to adequately fulfill that responsibility, the Department of Audit & Control performs several main functions to support the County’s financial operations. These include:
- Auditing, posting and approving of all payments made by the County in conformance to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Organizing funds to devote into no-risk investments in order to maximize interest income and strengthen the County’s financial position
- Ensure vendors and departments are requesting accurate payments based on verifiable fulfillment of County contracts
- Manage debt issuance on behalf of the County
- Provide support and guidance to the County’s municipalities regarding their fiscal operations
- Maintain continuous, open communication with all County departments in order to address issues in a timely and effective manner
- Biannually audit all hotels and motels within the County to guarantee compliance under the hotel and motel occupancy tax
- Complete the timely filing of the Annual Update Document (Annual Financial Report) in satisfaction of the requirements set forth by the New York State Comptroller under General Municipal Law, section 30
It is the preeminent goal of this Department to serve as an independent body of fiscal oversight to all County Agencies and Departments. In the performance of this Department’s responsibilities, Comptroller Rizzo continually strives to represent the voice of the taxpayer by ensuring transparency, accountability, and ethics throughout all levels of Albany County government.