Helderberg to Hudson Half Marathon
RESCHEDULED: Saturday, August 29, 2020
The public recreational Albany County Helderberg-Hudson Rail Trail stretches nine miles along the old Delaware & Hudson (D&H) Railroad between the Port of Albany and Voorheesville.
The entire length of the Rail Trail, from Pearl Street in Albany to Grove Street in Voorheesville, is fully paved and open for public use during daylight hours.
An incredible asset for Albany County residents and visitors, the Rail Trail adds tremendously to the quality of life in our region.
The many benefits include:
- Preservation of open space,
- Community linkages,
- Opportunities for physical fitness and outdoors enjoyment and
- Increased property values for surrounding communities.
Construction Notice: May 14-17, 2020 (approximately)
WHEN: Starting 7:00 am, Thursday, May 14, 2020 for about three days
WHERE: By the Good Samaritan Nursing Home in Delmar (near Rockefeller Road).
WHAT: The Trail may be restricted or temporarily closed at various times while drainage improvements are being made. There will be guidance around the work area.
If you have any questions please call Albany County Dept. of Public Works at (518) 765-2786.
Thank you for your patience during this important project.
Friends, neighbors and visitors come together to enjoy a pleasant outdoor experience on the Rail Trail.
For the safety of all Rail Trail patrons please observe these courtesies:
- Be courteous and considerate of other trail users.
- Respect our neighbors and don’t trespass on private property.
- Pets must be leashed at all times
- Control and clean up after your pet(s).
- Bicyclists should yield to pedestrians.
- Travel at a reasonable speed and in single file when path is crowded.
- Avoid startling others; announce “on your left” then pass with care.
- Move to the side when stopping on the trail.
- No hunting or discharging of firearms.
- Overnight camping and camp fires are prohibited.
- Remove your litter - this is a “Carry In/Carry Out” trail.
- Motorized vehicles are prohibited. (Wheelchairs, scooters, and other mobility assistance devices are permitted.)
- Enjoy the beauty of wild plants & animals, but leave them undisturbed for all to enjoy.
Above all, please do whatever you can to leave the Rail Trail better for your next visit!
Length: Approximately 9 miles
Acreage: Approximately 117 acres
Municipalities: City of Albany, Town of Bethlehem, Town of New Scotland, and Village of Voorheesville
East Terminus: Just east of South Pearl Street in the City of Albany
West Terminus: Just east of Main Street in the Village of Voorheesville
Highest Point: 350 feet above sea level near the west terminus
Lowest Point: 50 feet above sea level near the east terminus
Cost to Acquire Corridor: $700,000
Source of Acquisition Funding: 50% NYS Parks Acquisition Grant + 50% contribution by Scenic Hudson, Inc.
Cost to County Tax Payers for Acquisition: $0