If you currently receive your STAR benefit as a reduction on your school tax bill (the STAR exemption), you can choose to register for the STAR credit to receive a check instead; you may receive a greater benefit.
Changes Beginning in 2019
STAR credit savings may increase by as much as 2% each year, but STAR exemption savings will not increase.
- The income limit for the BASIC STAR exemption is now $250,000.
The income limit for the STAR credit remains at $500,000.
- If your income is between $250,000 and $500,000, the program is changing for you. If eligible, you will now receive a check for the STAR credit instead of the reduction on your school tax bill.
- If you have an escrow account, it is extremely important that you reach out to your lending institution. Do not allow your escrow account to fall short by switching to the credit.
- Click here for more information.
If your income is $250,000 or less, you have the option to switch.
To switch to the STAR Credit:
Register with the NYS Department of Taxation & Finance:
- Or by calling the STAR hotline at (518) 457-2036