The NYS Smoker's Quitline: 1 (866) NY-QUITS (697-8487). They provide counseling over the phone and most people are also able to get free nicotine replacement therapy, such as the patch or gum.
- Free Online Quit Program from the Legacy Foundation
- American Lung Association Freedom from Smoking Program
- American Cancer Society Guide to Quitting Smoking
- American Cancer Society Guide to Quitting Smokeless Tobacco
- More Tips from the American Cancer Society on Quitting
- American Cancer Society Quit for Life Program
- QuNitY Tobacco-Free Network from NYS Smokers’ Quitline
SmokefreeTXT: A text messaging service created by the National Cancer Institute to give 24/7 encouragement, advice, and tips to help people quit smoking. To sign up text the word "Quit" to IQUIT (47848) from your mobile phone. You’ll be prompted to answer a few questions, and you’ll start receiving messages. There is no fee for this service. However, message and data rates may apply.
The Quit For Life American Cancer Society app: This is a free smart phone application for the iPhone and Android.
- Medicaid now covers all 7 of the first line medications used quitting, even those that are over the counter. Talk with a medical provider, such as a doctor. Many insurances cover nicotine replacement or other medications to help with quitting.
- Behavioral or mental health professionals can provide counseling.
Support Groups for Quitting Tobacco Use
The Butt Stops Here
The Butt Stops Here program is a support group for quitting. Most people are eligible for the patch or gum through this program. Click here for more information.
- To register for the Butt Stops Here program at St. Peter's Hospital Cancer Care Center, call Anne Lawton at (518) 525-1827
St. Peter's Hospital Cancer Care Center
317 South Manning Blvd., Suite 100,
Albany, NY 12208
- To register for the Butt Stops Here program at St. Mary's Hospital, call Therese O’Callaghan at (518) 268-6442
St. Mary's Hospital
1300 Massachusetts Ave.
Troy, NY 12180
- Ellis Medicine offers a Butt Stops Here group. Register here or call Kathy at (518) 831-6957 for more information.
- The Courage to Quit program is a free group that is offered periodically. This is a faith-based group that uses parts of the Butt Stops Here and sessions are led by a mission staff member. It includes materials for quitting and two weeks of patches or gum. No registration is required, call (518) 459-2550 for the group’s schedule. There are 2 locations:
- Capital City Rescue Mission
(259 So. Pearl St. Albany
Thursdays at 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM; and
- City Mission of Schenectady
425 Hamilton Street Schenectady
Mondays at 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
- Capital City Rescue Mission
- Quit for Life is a cessation program at the Glens Falls Hospital's CR Wood Cancer Center Library. To register or for more information call Paul Miller at 926-6629.
- Another program is Nicotine Anonymous. It is free. It meets Thursdays at 7:30 PM at the Bethany Reformed Church. The address is 760 New Scotland Ave Albany, NY 12208. If you'd like more information their number is (518) 368-6210. Click here to visit the website for all of Nicotine Anonymous.