This is a rapidly changing situation. The Albany County Department of Health has COVID-19 information and resources available. »

Home Care Assessment Program

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What does the assessment entail?

A public health nurse and an Albany County Department of Social Services Social Worker will meet with you in the privacy of your own home. They will help you develop a plan of care designed to meet your specific needs.

With your permission, they will consult with your physician and immediate family members to get a complete picture of your medical and social needs. You will be asked questions about your monthly income in order to determine if the Department of Social Services can pay for the cost of services to you.

If you are on Medicaid or have a low monthly income, the Albany County Department of Social Services may be able to pay for the cost of home care services.

Your Plan of Care will show what activities you require assistance with. A Personal Care Aide or Homemaker may be recommended to provide this help.

If you have been found financially and medically eligible for services, we will request that an aide be sent to your home to help with your needs. The case will be transferred to one of two units for case management where the services you are receiving will be monitored.

Moderate and middle income persons over 60 years of age may qualify for reduced cost home care services under the New York State Expanded In-Home Services Program for the Elderly (EISEP).

If you are not financially eligible for home care services through the Department of Social Services, you will be given your Plan of Care so that you may shop knowledgeably among the many Health Care Providers for the services you need.

Questions and Answers

Q: Will home care affect any other benefit I may be receiving through the Department of Social Services?
A: No.

Q: Is there a time limit for receiving home care services?
A: No. Home care services are based on your needs and financial situation. If your income changes or your physical condition changes, home care services may change.

Q: How do I know if a family member is eligible for home care assistance?
A: Contact the Home Care Assessment Unit. They will provide you with the information you need to know.