Department of Civil Service
Michael Lalli, Director
Harold L. Joyce Albany County Office Building
112 State St., Room 900
Albany, NY 12207
(518) 447-5586 (fax)
The New York State Civil Service system was developed to ensure that the best and brightest employees are brought into public service. The Albany County Department of Civil Service was established, per Article V, Section 6 of the New York State Constitution, to ensure that appointments and promotions in the civil service of the state and all the civil divisions shall be made according to merit and fitness; and, as far as practicable, shall be in the competitive class.
The Director of the Albany County Department of Civil Service possesses responsibility in five major areas of Civil Service administration. These are: 1) adoption of civil service rules; 2) the classification of positions; 3) the administration of an examination program; 4) the maintenance of employment records; and 5) the enforcement of Civil Service Law through the payroll certification process.
We are located in the Albany County Office Building at 112 State Street in downtown Albany.
Our hours of operation are 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday (except holidays).
Please feel free to call us during business hours at (518) 447–7770 with any questions you may have concerning policies or procedures.
You can also email us at email@example.com. If you email us outside of business hours, we'll get back to you when our office is open again.
Albany County Department of Civil Service
112 State Street, Room 900
Albany, NY 12207
Phone: (518) 447-7770
Fax: (518) 447-5586
We are the Albany County Department of Civil Service.
We often receive phone calls from people trying to reach the New York State Department of Civil Service or the City of Albany Municipal Civil Service Commission.
While all three agencies are located in downtown Albany, we are separate and distinct agencies.
- You can reach the NY State Department of Civil Service at (518) 457-2487. Their office is at the Empire State Plaza, Agency Building One on the Ninth Floor in Albany, NY.
- You can reach the City of Albany Municipal Civil Service Commission at (518) 434-5049. Their office is in the Albany City Hall.
Other Civil Service Agencies Within Albany County:
- You can reach the Town of Colonie Civil Service Department at (518) 783-2721.
- You can reach the City of Cohoes Civil Service Commission at (518) 233-2132.
- You can reach the City of Watervliet Municipal Civil Service Commission at (518) 270-3800, ext. 114.