Captial Region Forward re-opening plan. Testing sites & screening options. Data & statistics dashboard.  COVID-19 information and resources »

Senior Housing and Care Facilities

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Subsidized and non-subsidized housing, adult homes, retirement homes, assisted living, and nursing homes.

Housing OptionsHousing Options for Senior AdultsHousing and care facilities in Albany, Schenectady, Rensselaer and Saratoga Counties, can be found by viewing or downloading: "Housing Options for Senior Adults," a joint publication of Albany Guardian Society and Senior Services of Albany.

You can search statewide for senior and disabled housing at the New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal's Affordable Housing.

Also see the "Search Tools " at the bottom of Medicare website to search nationwide and to compare nursing homes, hospitals, or even to find a doctor in your area.

See our guide to Alternatives to a Nursing Home in Albany County  for information about some of the programs that can provide care services for those seniors who do not need 24-hour skilled nursing and want to remain in their homes or supportive housing.

If you have general questions about senior housing, contact our Information & Assistance line at: (518) 447-7177.

Other Helpful Contacts and Websites

See the New York State Attorney General's "Tenants Rights Guide" for a summary of landlord/tenant laws and issues and problem solving advice.

United Tenants of Albany (UTA) a community based nonprofit organization that works throughout the Capital District to improve housing conditions and tenants' rights for safe, decent, and affordable housing. For more information call: (518) 436-8997 or click here to visit their website.

See the New York State Department of Health website to search state-wide for nursing homes or to read complaint summaries for each facility.

Nursing Home Patient Care Complaints line: 1 (888) 201-4563

Or call the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program (LTCOP) for Albany, Schenectady, and Montgomery Counties, sponsored by the American Red Cross, in partnership with the New York State Office for the Aging State Ombudsman Program. The LTCOP works to provide strong advocacy for residents' rights and quality of life issues for those who live in nursing homes and adult care facilities. Contact Edie Senett, Program Coordinator at the American Red Cross of NENY, at (518) 694-5114 or (518) 458-8111.

Low income seniors may receive help for home energy bills through HEAP (Heating and Energy Assistance Program), can help low income seniors pay for heating/energy costs. Call (518) 756-8650 for more information, & for guidelines click here to visit their website.

NYSERDA Loan Fund program is offered for the purpose of providing loans for certain energy-efficiency improvements at a reduced interest rate for a term up to 10 years. Call 1 (800) 263-0960 or click here to visit their website.

Grant $ or low interest loans for home repair or accessibility and home adaptations may be available for income seniors. For more information call Albany Community Action Partnership Access to Home program provides home adaptations and alterations that enable Albany County residents with disabilities to remain or return to their own homes rather than enter or remain in more costly and restrictive institutional settings. Call ACAP's Housing & Energy Services Department at (518) 463-3175, ext. 2 for current income limits.

Low income rural service area residents in Albany County may be eligible for a USDA 504 grant or low interest loans for home repair or modification. Grants of up to $7,500 are available to assist qualified persons 62 years of age or older and loans are available up to $20,000 to assist qualified persons of any age with necessary home repairs. For more information call the USDA Rural Development Service Center at (518) 762-0077, ext. 4 or click here to visit their website.

Low cost home maintenance and other services for seniors and the disabled are provided by Umbrella of the Capital District, a non-profit organization. Call (518) 346-5249 or click here to visit their website.

Low cost home maintenance for seniors in Town of Colonie and other services for seniors and the disabled are provided by Umbrella of the Colonie a non profit organization. Call (518) 459-7152 or email

Reverse Mortgage Counseling is available with the Rural Housing Alliance in Albany County call (518) 756-3656 or 235-3920 or click here to visit their website.

National Coalition on Aging NCOA’s Use Your Home to Stay at Home© is the official federally approved consumer booklet for older homeowners considering tapping their home equity using a reverse mortgage. The guide also provides information on other housing and home equity options available to older adults looking to remain in their homes as they age. Download the booklet here.

You may be eligible for a STAR TAX Exemption, call your local town assessor. To search for contacts, data, or tax rates in your area see the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.

Low income seniors may be eligible for the Lifeline telephone discount, for more information call the New York State Public Service Commission toll free at 1 (888) AskPSC1 or click here to visit their website.

Consumer Credit Counseling Service is a non profit service that provides counseling for credit/budget, bankruptcy and debt management. Call (518) 482-2227 or click here to visit their website.

Free 1040 Income Tax assistance from the AARP Tax-Aide program from February 1st – April 15th; to find a site near you call 1 (888) 687-2277 or click here to visit their website.

The NYS Attorney General's website can advise seniors on a variety of issues. Click here to find resources on a variety of issues including tenant’s rights, health care proxy, fraudulent trade practices, lemon laws and identity theft. Call 1 (800) 771-7755 for more information.

Consumer protection information such as: hiring a home improvement contractor, protecting yourself from scams and identity theft, how to get on the "do not call" list, compare area gasoline prices, or free credit reports can be found on the NYS Consumer Protection Board website or call (518) 474-8583.

Homeowners and renters can purchase flood insurance even when located in high risk areas. To find a National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) agent near you, call: 1 (800) 427-2419 or click here to visit their website.