Wanda F. Willingham (D)
Albany County Legislative District 3
112 State Street, Room 700
Albany NY 12207
Phone: (518) 221-9785
Wanda was elected on Jan. 1, 2016, to a fourth term as an Albany County legislator, and represents Legislative District 3 in Albany. Wanda brings a wealth of experience to the position. She serves as deputy chairwoman of the Legislature’s Health Committee, and as a member of the Public Works, Public Safety and Elder Care committees. She is past chairwoman of the Social Services Committee, past deputy chairwoman of the Mass Transit Committee, and a past member of the Personnel, Court Facilities and Conservation and Improvement committees.
Wanda possesses proven leadership skills in working with the community in various endeavors. She also serves as the City of Albany’s 4th Ward Leader.
Public Health: Wanda authored “Tobacco-Free Pharmacy” legislation to prohibit the sale of tobacco products in pharmacies and other healthcare facilities.
Caring for our seniors: Wanda was a leader in the effort to build a new nursing home for seniors, to ensure they would continue residing in Albany County. Wanda has worked successfully to bring Congregate Meal Services to seniors, and supported continued funding for NY Connects.
Keeping Families Together Initiatives: Wanda has been a strong advocate and proponent of improvements to foster care in order to reunite families and establish permanency for children.
Community service is very important to Wanda and she has participated in the following:
Awards and Recognitions:
- Albany Housing Authority
- Boys and Girls Club of Albany
- Capital District African American Coalition on AIDS
- Israel African Methodist Episcopal Church
- Lydia’s House
- National Night Out Community Event
- NYS Liberty Partnership Mentoring Program
- Sheridan Hollow Neighborhood Association
- Teen Girls Leadership Program
- Urban League’s Neighborhood Based Alliance
- Arbor Hill Community Center
- Blessed Hope Worship Center
- Capital District YMCA
- Grandmas for Charter School
- Kids Improvement District
- New Covenant Christian Fellowship
- Skyline Garden Apartments
- Steamer No. 10 Theatre
- Toys for Tots
- 2007 New York State Harriet Tubman Humanitarian Achievement Award
- 2009 Too Deep Entertainment Outstanding Community Leadership Award
- 2010 Capital District YMCA Black and Latino Adult Achievers Award
- African Reflection Foundation, Certificate of Appreciation
- Black Women’s Association of Albany, Service Award
- Blessed Hope Worship Center, Hope Award for Outstanding Community Service
- Dr. Martin Luther King Annual Basketball Tournament, Hall of Fame Coretta Scott King Award
- First Israel AME Church Next Generation Community Service Award
- New Covenant Christian Fellowship, Community Service Award
- RFK Democratic Club, Favorite Elected Official
Wanda enjoyed a successful career with the New York State Local Retirement System. Wanda retired as an Assistant Retirement Program Administrator after more than 34 years of service. Wanda implemented the first "pre-retirement workshops for NYSLRS."
Wanda is a dedicated member of Mount Olive Southern Baptist Church. Wanda was selected as the Chairlady for Women’s Day and the 76th Church Anniversary.
Wanda is a lifelong Albany resident and has been married for over 45 years to Elijah Willingham. She is the proud mother of five adult children, grandmother to six and great-grandmother of two.
Wanda is a committed servant to her family, church friends and community.
"If thou faintest in the day of adversity, thy faith is weak"