Financial Assistance for the Visually Impaired
New York State pays $1,100 annually to eligible blind veterans and eligible un-remarried spouses. The blind annuity is paid in monthly installments and is administered by the New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs.
Who Is Eligible?
- Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States
- Active duty during specified war-time periods
- Discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable
- Meet the New York State standards of blindness
- Veterans who are now, and continue to be residents of and continuously domiciled in New York State. (The continuous domicile requirement does not apply to annuitants whose claims were approved prior to June 1, 1958.)
What Military Service Qualifies?
A Veteran must have served 90 days active duty for other than training purposes. Less than 90 days is acceptable if discharged for a service-connected disability. Active duty during wartime service beginning, ending or during, the following periods are required.
|World War I ||April 6, 1917 - November 11, 1918 |
|World War II ||December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946 |
|Korean War ||June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955 |
|Vietnam Conflict ||December 22, 1961 - May 7, 1975 |
|Lebanon* ||June 1, 1983 - December 1, 1987 |
|Grenada* ||October 23, 1983 - November 21, 1983 |
|Panama* ||December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990 |
|Persian Gulf ||August 2, 1990 - End of Hostilities |
|Operation Iraqi Freedom ||March 14, 2003 – through a date to be set by law or Presidential Proclamation |
*Requires award of expeditionary medal for such service
The annuity also is payable to un-remarried spouses of deceased veterans who were receiving annuity payments (or were eligible to) at the time of their death, and are residents of and continuously domiciled in New York State.
How To Apply
For more information and how to apply contact the Albany County Veterans Service Bureau at (518) 447-7710 or visit the New York State Division of Veterans Affairs Blind Annuity web page at http://veterans.ny.gov/blind_annuity.html .