Adult Services


Protective Services for Adults

Adult Protective Services is a system of services for persons 18 or older, who, because of mental or physical impairment, are at risk of harm or are unable to meet their own needs and have no one to assist them responsibly. Adult Protective Services are free to all adults in need regardless of income or resources. Adult Protective Services will provide services directly or arrange for help from community agencies to reduce the risk a person faces. Generally, Adult Protective Services cannot provide services to a client who refuses, since adults have civil rights. However, if a person is at risk and unable to understand the potential harm and consequences of their behavior, PSA will intervene on their behalf. A mental health assessment and court intervention are generally required for involuntary services.

Call Albany County - NY Connects or information or to make a referral at (518) 447-7177 Monday through Friday 8:30am–4:30pm; or email us at


Adult Services will assess the needs for and arrange for the delivery of appropriate support services to eligible impaired individuals to enable them to remain safely in the community. Personal Care services will assist with everyday activities to enable you to stay in your home. If you are elderly or a handicapped adult and need help with the following, you may be eligible for home care services through the Albany County Department of Social Services.

  • Bathing
  • Toileting
  • Dressing
  • Light Housekeeping
  • Meal Preparation
  • Shopping

Home Care Program Questions and Answers

Q. What does the assessment entail?

A. A public health nurse and an Albany County Department of Social Services Caseworker will meet with you in the privacy of your own home. They will help you develop a plan of care designed to meet your specific needs. Your Plan of Care will show what activities you require assistance with. A Personal Care aide maybe recommended to provide this help.

If you are on Medicaid, your doctor will need to complete a physician form from DSS which will need to be completed within 30 days of you last visit and returned to the Department before an assessment can be done. If you are on Medicaid or have a low monthly income Albany County may be able to pay for the cost of home care services.

Moderate and middle income persons over 60 years of age may qualify for reduced or no cost home care services under the NYS Expanded In- Home Services of the Elderly Program (EISEP). This is a non medical program and therefore a physician's form is not required.

If you have been found financially and programmatically eligible for services, DSS will request that an aide be sent to your home to help with your needs. The case will be transferred to one of two units depending on geographic location, where the services you are receiving will be monitored.

Q. Will home care affect any other benefit I may be receiving through the Department of Social Services?

A. No

Q. Is there a time limit for receiving home care services?

A. No. Home Care services are based on your needs and financial situation. If your income changes, Medicaid status, or your physical condition changes, home care services may change.

Q. How do I know if a person is eligible for home care assistance?

A. Contact the Albany County NY Connects at (518) 447-7177 and they will provide you with the information you need to know.

Call Albany County - NY Connects for more information or to make a referral at (518) 447-7177 Monday through Friday 8:30am–4:30pm.

See the Albany County - NY Connects: Choices for Long Term Care website at